MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

2/18/10
Hi Gary,I watched your episode on leaving a mac in sleep mode overnight and ive been doing that ever since but lately after three days of doing so, ive noticed some of my programs such as safari which ive left open in sleep more, to experience lagging and has forced me to restart ... (1 Comment)
2/18/10
Gary says, and I believe, you don’t need AV for OS X. But what if you’re running a Windows app in VMFusionware on your Mac. In short, a virtual Windows machine. Thoughts? I have Comcast as an ISP and they offer Norton and McAfee as freebies. — David ... (1 Comment)
2/18/10
Hi Gary, If I build a site in iWeb can i host it with MobileMe? Thanks, Jason — Jason ... (1 Comment)
2/18/10
Hi Gary I recorded my screen with Quicktime X. I want to edit it with iMovie 09… but iMovie 09 cuts off parts of the screen (can’t see the menubar). I checked the properties of the Quicktime Files and the iMovie 09 project… both are the same (16:9). What am I ... (3 Comments)
2/18/10
I was just wondering how realistic the Phone SDK is… Stuff like… 1. To type, do you have to type on the keyboard or do you have to click? 2. How do you rotate it? 3. Can it sync with iTunes? 4. Does it work with the App Store? 5. Does it come with the basic Apps? ... (2 Comments)
2/17/10
is it dangerous to leave your 27in iMac screen on all the time? I use my mac with the eyetv 250 as my main TV and the screen is on most of the time. — Jacob ... (1 Comment)
2/17/10
Hi Gary, Thanks for answering the PDF question. Odd of Apple to make something more complicated, but I guess no company is perfect… That said, it seems like I can’t get the entire note that I put in my iCal appointments on my iPod Touch if the note goes beyond a ... (2 Comments)
2/17/10
I am trying to produce a podcast using Garage Band. I record the audio using my iPhone (with surprising quality!) and then import it into Garage Band. I then clean up the audio and we’re good on that end. I have been trying to add show notes, graphics, etc., but when I ... (1 Comment)
2/17/10
Hi Gary, I recently started using an AppleScript to update my Podcasts while I sleep. However, I am not totally comfortable with leaving my AirPort running all night long. Is there an AppleScript to turn it on/off at a specific time? Love your Podcast and book. — TJ ... (4 Comments)
2/16/10
Hi Gary, I’ve been thinking if I should install Little Snitch on my Mac or not. What is your opinion about this program? Do you use it? Best regards, John — John Dahl ... (1 Comment)
2/16/10
I just recently upgraded one of our virtual servers to Snow Leopard Server, so i can utilize and test out Podcast Producer2. I have gone thru the steps in creating a podcast but now what do i do? How do I uploaded onto our server? How do I retrieve it to view the podcast? Very ... (1 Comment)
2/15/10
Is it safe to move the iChat and the Microsoft User Data directory (I have Office for Mac installed) to another folder inside my user directory? I’m trying to tidy things up a bit and the flat directory I have is getting a bit unwieldy. — Michelle ... (1 Comment)
2/15/10
Hi, I love your podcast – so first of all, thanks for these. I have a question. I was cleaning up in my keychain certificates and noticed, that under ‘System’, I have a certificate listed from Apple called com.apple.systemdefault, which expires in 2027. This ... (2 Comments)
2/14/10
I’m a recent switcher to OS X, and I was a little sad to discover (although I should have seen it coming) that Dell doesn’t make any Mac drivers for its printers. I have a Dell V305w WiFi printer running on my wireless network. I’ve had to save everything as a ... (1 Comment)
2/14/10
Here is my issue that is occurring in my iMac 24 and my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard: I have Bootcamp 3.0.1 on both computers. I use Windows 7 (32 bit) with Parallels for my work projects on both computers. I have tried to upgrade to 3.1 and am experiencing the same problems. ... (2 Comments)
2/14/10
hi if i plan to buy a ipad it means i can download books only from i store can i not download from amazon or also through a usb port from my laptop!! — nirja ... (2 Comments)
2/14/10
All of a sudden I don’t have any volume controls visible in my iPod Touch. I cannot adjust the volume. And there isn’t anything wrong with the headphone jack, since I can hear music… the volume it just very low. I plugged in another headphone, and the bar ... (10 Comments)
2/13/10
hi gary i made a mail box also made a smart mailbox now i wish to delete the remaing mail i could not do it i selected all mail and pressed delete but the mails are still there not deleted!! — nirja ... (3 Comments)
2/13/10
So, i bought a hard drive because the last drive i got was shot. so when i took out the hard drive put the holder on the new drive and put it back in to the macbook it would not go back in. What happen was the two rubber pads on both sides of the area where you put the drive in ... (1 Comment)
2/13/10
When I’m viewing my Mac’s Hard Drive content from a PC (a have a driver for HFS+) a see a lots of .DS_Store files. I know that these are Mac versions of the Thumbs.db files on Windows, but I still want to remove them. Please answer me! — Oliver ... (2 Comments)