MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

10/31/09
I was wondering if you can edit the Genre-Info for app’s and the Category-Info for podcasts in iTunes, b/c I like to view my apps and podcasts in these options but there are so many different genres and categories out there that this view isn’t very helpful at the ... (5 Comments)
10/31/09
Hi Gary, My Sigma SD10 camera relies on Sigma Photo Pro on my Mac to transfer photos from camera to Mac. It’s been crashing lots, though, since I updated to Snow Leopard (I had to upgrade from Photo Pro 2.0 to 3.3). The crash logs go to Apple, according to the window that ... (1 Comment)
10/30/09
Hi Gary, I always try to tag my photos within iPhoto to help with details. However, whenever I use the search function at the bottom of the iPhoto screen, I can never seem to locate a particular photo. It only seems to find photos by their event titles. Do you know how iPhoto ... (3 Comments)
10/30/09
I have Vista SP2 on the boot camp partition of my iMac 24″. When attempting to run the boot camp drivers from the Snow Leopard disc, it adds some drivers and then bogs down and never finishes. I had to use the Leopard disc with boot camp 2 drivers which worked okay. Any ... (3 Comments)
10/30/09
What do I need to do this. — Gary McNeil ... (1 Comment)
10/30/09
Gary, With the holiday approaching, it’d be nice to have some holiday themed mail templates. Would you know of a site that has free ones? — Michelle ... (2 Comments)
10/29/09
I use time machine but weekly and before upgrading I make an image backup. I use the Disk Utility for this but I find some options don’t work. I go to File->New->Disk Image from disk0s2 (Macintosh HD).. A dialog opens that says SaveAs: Macintosh HD The drive selected is my ... (3 Comments)
10/29/09
Hello, I have had a Macbook Pro for about a year now and I have fallen in love with the Mac. I take LOTS of photos and I use my Mac now all the time over my PC. I want to store all my photos on a USB or Firewire hard drive because it has gotten to the point I am filling up my ... (2 Comments)
10/29/09
I’m trying to find the best way to archive video footage from iMovie that isn’t used as often anymore (such as when mt daughter was an infant), but have a way to make it available if I want to use it in a future project. For example, archive everything from 2007 to a ... (3 Comments)
10/29/09
I would like to change my Apple ID because I have a new email address. I already found out that I can use https://myinfo.apple.com to make this change. But happens to – my old DRM-protected music in iTunes? – my DRM-protected TV shows in iTunes? – my iPhone apps ... (83 Comments)
10/28/09
Photography bloggers are bemoaning Apple’s seeming lack of interest in coming out with Aperture 3. What’s your take on Aperture’s future? — John Russell ... (2 Comments)
10/28/09
Dear Gary, I don’t really understand what force means… … As in force quit or force boot! Please could you help me understand? Yours sincerely, Teddy! — Teddy ... (4 Comments)
10/28/09
Gary, what’s your preference between Firefox and Camino? Or do you prefer to stick with Safari? — Michelle ... (1 Comment)
10/28/09
What is the easiest/best way to save FLV video content files to a Mac. hard drive? — DS ... (3 Comments)
10/28/09
My new iMac is not connecting to my mac mini over my network I want to get a file from my mini to my new iMac over my network — Colin ... (1 Comment)
10/27/09
Gary, Am I missing something? I’ve noticed that iCal doesn’t sync To-Dos with iPhone. When I look in iCal, there’s nothing there. I’ve even tried 3rd party apps. These sync perfectly between the app and iCal, even creating a Task calendar which shows up on ... (2 Comments)
10/27/09
Is it safe to delete files in the “originals” folder under username/pictures, specifically “filename_2” or “filename_3? In some cases I have 4 and even 6 copies. Should I go through and remove only the 2nd,3rd,4th, etc., copies of the originals and ... (1 Comment)
10/27/09
hey gary, i got a litte problem with my speakers on my macbook 13,3” from late 2008. after i upgraded to 10.6 my speakers are turned of after every start up. it’s not a real big problem, but after 3 weeks now it’s getting buggy. i always here that start up sound ... (7 Comments)
10/26/09
I have made a iCal calendar for our housework. Now I would like to share with the other macs in our household. Is it possible to do this withou using an external server oder an MobileMe account? — Timo Paessler ... (1 Comment)
10/26/09
Not sure if “crash log” is the right term, but isn’t it true that when an application crashes that there’s some record left as a text file that would be useful to the program’s engineers? In my case Prizmo keeps crashing and I’d really like to ... (1 Comment)