MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

10/25/09
I’m a fourteen-year-old in the USA. I guess I’ve finally brought into the whole ‘Mac-Apple altar’ thing. I have experience with them (my bro’s macbook from 2006 and the 2007(?) iMacs in my music/tech class) and honestly, they OWN Windows-based ... (2 Comments)
10/25/09
I noticed that the new smart playlist diaglog has a + a – and a … option now. The … is new. I clicked on it to see what it does and it adds a new row The help does not describe what the new … option does but I would guess it allows nesting of conditions ... (1 Comment)
10/25/09
Quicken requires Internet Explorer and I cannot find it available for a mac download — Winnie Holbrooke ... (1 Comment)
10/25/09
hi gary how do you delete multiply calendars on the iphone i only really need one the others can go — paulie3660 ... (1 Comment)
10/24/09
Gary, I found that Word and Excel were s l o w to start after I upgraded to SL. Safari was a tad slow as well. After validating fonts and disabling dupes, I ran the beta version of Onyx for SL and ran maintenance scripts and cleaned font cache. Amazing. Everything is much ... (2 Comments)
10/24/09
hi gary i just bought the new i mac 21.5″ 3.06ghz and 8 gb memory with a 1 tb hard drive and a 1 tb timecapsules so i have between $150 to 200 dollars left what do recommend for a wireless all in one printer — paulie3660 ... (1 Comment)
10/24/09
Is there a way on my iPhone to, for example, listen to a Russian novel from Audible.com and some Tchaikovsky from my music library *simultaneously* on my iPhone? — John Russell ... (1 Comment)
10/23/09
When you close a tab in Safari, the active tab becomes the one adjacent to the tab you closed. In Firefox you can select it to be the tab you were in before you went to the one you closed. Can you do this in Safari? I don’t see a way. — Brian Morris ... (1 Comment)
10/23/09
Hey guys, i’m using a macbook 13,3” and thinking of buying an apple cinema display 24”…well it’s very expensive and there are so many cheaper monitors! for example the hp w2558hc in germany it’s about 350€ cheaper!!! my problem is, that i ... (1 Comment)
10/23/09
Is there any way to permanently delete only selected files or only files up to a specified date from the trash? — Johan van der Spuy ... (1 Comment)
10/23/09
Gary: Am I crazy or is this the most underused program in OS X? Do most users who want to accomplish things more quickly on Mac go directly to scripting? Is Automator unreliable in some way? There is a site called automatorworld.com, but it’s not updated anymore. ... (4 Comments)
10/23/09
I subscribe to about a dozen podcasts, many of which have new content daily. And, I like to sync them with my iPhone every morning. My question is, how can I get them to sync overnight, so they are waiting on my computer in the morning? — Don Altorfer ... (1 Comment)
10/22/09
Hey guys! I have an issue with the “Open With” when I right click on certain files, such as a picture. I get duplicates of the programs that can be used to open that file. I’ll get a bunch of duplicates listed for Safari, Preview, Photoshop, etc. for example. ... (1 Comment)
10/22/09
Hi Gary, I have a bunch of .dv clips produced by an old Sony video camera. Neither iPhoto nor iMovie recognizes that format. What format should I convert them to? And what software and settings should I do the conversion with? I have a one-year-old 24″ iMac running Snow ... (1 Comment)
10/22/09
Hi I own an ipod and manage it thru itunes. However I have just bought a new iphone 3GS, will I have to take out a new account with itunes, or will itunes recognise I have a new device and run both devices together using one account!! Thanks Ken..Nr london uk — Ken ... (2 Comments)
10/21/09
Gary, Is MacMost.com your full-time gig? How did you get started? When did you 1st become a Mac person? — Jason ... (1 Comment)
10/21/09
I was wondering if anyone has been able to take out light scratches on an iPod with metal polish. — Gary McNeil ... (1 Comment)
10/21/09
Is there a comparison chart somewhere that compares the 2 programs mentioned in the title? I have them both on my Mac Pro. Can you in a nutshell recommend which is better at organizing files on your HD? Thanks, Russ — Russ Winkler ... (3 Comments)
10/21/09
in iTunes 8 we used to be able to adjust the size of the albums icons so we can make them small or we can make them bigger and bigger. in iTunes 9 we can’t do that, can you tell me please how to adjust the size of the icons in any section (music, tv shows, podcasts, ... (2 Comments)
10/21/09
I would like to know what would be the normal temperature for a MacBook Pro. I understand that compact computers tend to have higher temperatures, but I am just concern if it will affect my system in any way? Temp. has gone up to 98 and external fan does not seem to help ... (1 Comment)