MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

11/6/09
I would never go back to windows since my sis got me my 2nd MBP, but there is 1 annoying difference: In windows, if I was set to replace a file with one of the same name, a warning would come up & say 1 already exists. Same is true in OSX. The difference is the AGE (date ... (3 Comments)
11/6/09
hi i have tried to to export my address book into my gmail contacts, and it did work just find. it even put them into their correct groups. the problem is that when i did that each contact, which i uploaded, that was with a picture, doesn’t have one in my gmail account. so ... (3 Comments)
11/5/09
I will be purchasing a new 27″ iMac soon and I am a little confused over which would be better. Should I get the faster clockspeed of the 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo or get the quad core 4 i5 with only 2.66Ghz? Which is really the faster (ie. better) processor? 3.06Ghz Core 2 or ... (2 Comments)
11/5/09
Since I’m the sole user of my MacBook Pro, I’ve chosen to use no password for the system. When asked for one, when installing or whatever, I simply leave the line blank, click OK, and go on my way. However, I’m wondering if, even though I don’t worry ... (3 Comments)
11/5/09
Newbie question — can these ringtones (for example, the Loud and clear ringtones) be used in the iphone for text messaging alerts? Thanks — Chisolm Wilson ... (1 Comment)
11/4/09
Gary, I remember a tip about increasing the default font size mail uses via a terminal command, but can’t seem to locate it. Would you know about this tip? — Michelle ... (4 Comments)
11/4/09
I want to take this computer apart to clean the dust out of it, and I heard that you have to have heat sync cement to put on the heat syncs before you put it back together. Is this true or not and if it is where can I get heat sync cement. — Gary McNeil ... (3 Comments)
11/4/09
We currently have a MacBook at home, as I was thinking about adding another one soon. I was wondering how I could keep most things synced, like files, iPhoto, iTunes, and a could other things. I’d love to have the same media and files on both computers, so I don’t ... (1 Comment)
11/4/09
Hello. i have an iPhone, and i have two macs (mac mini, mbp) since i got my iPhone i started using address book and now i have all my contacts in my iPhone and my mbp, but i do want to automatically sync my address book from my mbp or iphone to my mac mini. i don’t want to ... (2 Comments)
11/3/09
Hi Gary, In Leopard it was possible to add a scroll bar to sticky notes using interface builder, but in Snow Leopard the ‘compiled nib’ appears un-editable. Is there any way around this? I love stickies and really miss the added functionality of the scroll ... (1 Comment)
11/3/09
Dear Gary, I would like to know the answer to this question: Are PowerPC Macs out of date? Yours sincerely, Teddy! — Teddy ... (2 Comments)
11/3/09
hi gary i have a coupje of dilemmas i am sure you have the answers to 1) when i sync my iphone with my imac it wont sync the songs i have on my iphone to my imac the i mac is brand new this week so it does not have any songs on it and it says that if i want to sync it to itunes ... (18 Comments)
11/2/09
First when I try to use safari it doesn’t even come up with the download button. Then when I use the internet expolorer it comes up with the download button after I select the correct OS and it doesn’t do anything. Any suggestions on how to get it to download. ... (1 Comment)
11/2/09
Hello everyone. I am hsn. and i have just bought my first amazing iPhone 3 days ago, and now i am using address book and so many applications i would like to know how can i setup my contacts birthdays so before their birthday comes iCal could remind me. alos, in address book ... (3 Comments)
11/1/09
Hi Gary, When I download pictures from my digital camera onto my MacBook Pro, the import gets stuck in the middle of the download.  I can’t close out without using the iPhoto force quit.  Then when I open iPhoto again it says I have photos in my iPhoto library that have not ... (15 Comments)
11/1/09
quick time movies which used to open automatically in firefox with the quick time 7 plug in no longer do so and i am redirected to the quick time 7 download site even though i did include it in the snow leopard install. In safari the movie opens the quick time 10 application Is ... (1 Comment)
11/1/09
Dear Gary, I subscribe to your podcast, MacAnswers… …Before I updated to iTunes 9, I had the behavior set to download the most recent ones, and delete the ones I have viewed… …Now, I can’t find the panel to set that, because it has forgotten the ... (2 Comments)
10/31/09
My Formatting Palate is just off screen (Microsoft Word for Mac). I check to see the Fomatting Palate and I see if fly off screen. How can I get it back to where I can see/use it on my screen? — Katharyn ... (4 Comments)
10/31/09
I just got a iMac G4, what is the latest OS I can put on it? It has 10.2.8 on it now and has 800 MHz and 256MB of ram. What can I upgrade that too. — Gary McNeil ... (6 Comments)
10/31/09
Gary, I purchased a PowerMac G5 quad 2.5 computer with Final Cut Pro v. 6.0.5 installed on it. Thank goodness, I made a clone copy of the hard drive immediately after purchasing it and keep the copy in a secure location away from the computer. My problem is that after I install ... (1 Comment)