MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

5/1/10
Hi Gary I just got my first mac yesterday and set up my account and the guest account and my I used it just to test and i noticed it took some megabytes from my Mac HD its and I made sure I clicked delete files and logged out I just wondered why this happened I thought it ... (6 Comments)
5/1/10
I was told by Godaddy that I need to name my nameservers. I’ve already set up everything else such as cname, but the 2 nameservers stump me. They told me to check with MobileMe, and I always come to Gary for MobileMe questions. :-) — George ... (4 Comments)
5/1/10
Gary have you done a review on MacKeeper yet? Because I thought maybe buying it. — Richard ... (1 Comment)
5/1/10
Hi Gary, For some reason, my MacBook Pro will consume half the battery (recently replaced at the Apple Store) over a few hours when it’s asleep. Is there any way to troubleshoot, to find out which processes are causing this unusual drain? Thanks, Luigi — Luigi ... (1 Comment)
5/1/10
Hi Gary I’m new to mac and iCal but i went to my iCal and subscribed to my MLB team’s calendar for this year using the URL and instructions they provided it worked yesterday but when i opened iCal today it disappeared and made sure everything was checked and correct ... (3 Comments)
5/1/10
Hello Gary I want to use my iPad for business meetings, taking notes, etc. There are several “pad” apps out now, however writing with my finger is odd. I purchased a stylus recently and the large rubber tip made it impossible to write, only poke at buttons. Is ... (6 Comments)
4/30/10
I have a Apple TV and everytime I sync anything to it it takes all my bandwidth on my network. I have it connected via wireless (the costs are an issue at the moment). Every computer (all Mac’s) that are connected to my network via wireless loses internet or is very very ... (3 Comments)
4/30/10
Could my connection work if i add many DNS servers? I´m asking because at home my 2wire router provides 192.168.1.254 to my macbook but at school, its 120.100.140.1 My question would be, if I add manually the 2 DNS servers would they work wheter im at home or at school? — ... (1 Comment)
4/30/10
I have read the quick tip on converting movies for iPod via iTunes. I was wondering whether this is a destructive or non destructive way og doing it? — Torben ... (1 Comment)
4/29/10
Hi Gary, My iPhone just started this issue. When I came home today it sees my wifi network, but will surfing the web it only uses the Edge network. I have done the following things to try to correct it. – restarting the phone – toggling wifi on and off – ... (5 Comments)
4/29/10
When synchronizing an iPod Touch via iTunes, as various podcasts and other items are copied to the iPod, we see brief descriptions of these items briefly appear near the top of the iTunes window. Is there some way that a user could get a summary displayed, after the synchronizing ... (1 Comment)
4/29/10
when will be release unlock and jailbreak for iphone 3gs with baseband 05.12.01, version 3.1.3? my iphone stuck in the emergency slide screen, showing usb cord connected with itunes and there is a lock sign above? what does it mean ..lock sign? what i need to do first jailbreak ... (34 Comments)
4/29/10
One of my pet peeves is the gargantuan size of my photo library. I’ve gone through many different ways of trying to keep it trimmed. One obvious way is through smart folders. The problem is that smart folders won’t let you actually put pics directly in the trash. ... (1 Comment)
4/28/10
For some odd reason, my desktop keeps disappearing. Everything is still there in the finder, but my desktop appears blank. I have reset the dock and the finder to no avail. — Todd Peperkorn ... (1 Comment)
4/28/10
Is there a way to simply take an SD card from a (Panasonic) camcorder and burn the entire contents to a DVD using iDVD? It seems that I have to do this via iMovie – create an iMovie project, then share it in the media browser – in order for iDVD to pick up the ... (7 Comments)
4/28/10
I have $200.00 to spend on a Wireless Router, anyone have any suggestions ? I`m running a MacBook Pro. — Danny ... (4 Comments)
4/27/10
Hi Gary, If my Time Machine drive gets filled and I create a new TM back up with a new drive, how can I still access the info on the old drive? Thanks. Jason — Jason ... (1 Comment)
4/27/10
I want to create a digital filing cabinet, with folders and sub-folders. So that Spotlight can help me find files of specific categories, I would like to add tags automatically to a file placed in a folder or subfolder. For instance, I may have a ‘camcorder’ folder ... (1 Comment)
4/26/10
My brother and I both have IMAC’s and we both have extensive music in our itunes. Can we share each other’s music by using our time machine hard drive? — steve ... (1 Comment)
4/24/10
I would like to convert a massive .dv library to a better format for viewing and to save hard drive space. The library is about 1 terabit now and is hard for iMovie to handle. I would like a way to automate this task as it would take days for me to do this manually. I would ... (1 Comment)