MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

2/13/10
I have a G4 Quicksilver, Macbook g4 17″, Apple AirPort Extreme and an HP 5600 all-in-one printer. I have both the computers connected to the internet and that works. What do I need to do to get the printer connected to the airport and get both computers to connect to ... (1 Comment)
2/13/10
Hello Gary, I read your tweet regarding you mentioned that you made your website ready for iPad visitors. It would be great and really kind of you if you were willing to share the knowledge/code on how to do this. Thanks a million, Lars — Lars ... (1 Comment)
2/11/10
Gary, in the most recent podcast about converting videos, you passed on the suggestion of using VisualHub (by Techspansion). This is a great app, and I use it all the time to convert AVI and FLV videos. Unfortunately, it was discontinued and no longer available. Too ... (1 Comment)
2/11/10
I am a relatively new Mac user. I have a G5 2.5Ghz using OS 10.5.8. I have two questions: 1. When I copy from a web page in Safari and try to paste it in MS Word the right margin runs off the page. Is there a setting that I can make that will maintain the correct margins when I ... (3 Comments)
2/11/10
I have several hundred pictures that are in my iPhoto library as placeholders in smart albums, but the actual photos were deleted. Is there a way to rebuild a library so that these empty pics don’t show up? — Todd Peperkorn ... (2 Comments)
2/11/10
Hello Gary, I had recently got a iBook G4, an upgrade from my eMac that I have had for seven years or so. The iBook is a wonderful addition to the my Mac life and I couldn’t be more satisfied. However, the only thing that the iBook needs is a new battery. After ... (1 Comment)
2/10/10
My wife documents our travels using iPhoto and iMovie, creating a DVD with iDVD and then duplicating those with Toast. She at least begins to play/test each DVD on our equipment before sending them to friends and family. But she receives quite a liberal sprinkling of emails ... (1 Comment)
2/10/10
Hi Gary, I have owned my MB for 20 months and have never installed any type of anti-virus software on it. I also (knock on wood) have never had an issue. Should I continue to dodge this bullet or should I install some sort of software? Do you have any suggestions if I need ... (2 Comments)
2/9/10
What is the simplest way to copy a user from one computer to another? Can you just copy the folder, use migration assistant, or something else? — Todd Peperkorn ... (1 Comment)
2/9/10
Does anybody know off a program that allows me to create pdf bookmarks? — Eirik ... (1 Comment)
2/9/10
I love my MacBook Pro (purchased new in Oct 09, 2.53, Snow Leopard 10.6.2) and my iPhone. They seamlessly work together. Add or change a contact in Address Book and the change magically appears on my iPhone. Same for iCal and Mail. Here is question #1: If I add an iMac to this ... (5 Comments)
2/8/10
I have a disk image of a bootable drive saved on my Drobo. I would like to copy this image onto a computer. What is going to be the best way to do this? Will the Snow Leopard installer allow you to simply copy a disk image onto the boot drive? Should I boot the new computer ... (2 Comments)
2/8/10
just like it says, i would like 2 turn off “shuffle” on my iphones ipod. how do i acheive this? — blunadro ... (7 Comments)
2/8/10
Gary, is it possible to highlight a word in a document and open the dictionary with a keyboard command, placing the word in the search field? Right now, the only way I know to do it is to highlight and copy the word, click to open the dictionary icon in the dock, then paste the ... (1 Comment)
2/8/10
in windows i work with ms office 07 access what is analogous to this software in lepord so that i make my project management programe in it thanks — nova ... (3 Comments)
2/7/10
hi gary in iam not able to upload my pic/album on face book it takes only 5 pic befor today i had uploaded 2 albums but such problems did not exsist this time i was uploading in a new account ie my husbands new account has this got to do any thing with this — nirja ... (1 Comment)
2/6/10
hi gary i have made a movie in idvd and have burned a cd it took a long time about 2 hours now if i have to make more coipes will it take the same amount of time !!! thanks — nirja ... (1 Comment)
2/6/10
I recently upgraded my RAM on my iMac G5(no camera), running OS 10.4, to 2gigs. Now, whenever i click on any of the icons on my dock that are located on my external hardrive, a whole new icon appears on the right side of the dock and starts bouncing. The icon that i originally ... (5 Comments)
2/6/10
Hey Gary what is the best way to keep my “most recent” events in iPhoto sync with mobile me? I like to just set it and let it take care of the rest. Thanks a lot. Take care. — Michael ... (3 Comments)
2/4/10
before using mac i had windows my address book is ready there can i copy that address boook in my mac’s address book or will i have to type my 200 contacts once again in my mac ? — nirja ... (1 Comment)