MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

12/8/09
Can you tell me the normal CPU and CPU heat sink temps should be for a 2007-2008 intel core 2 duo mac mini with 4GB ram 500 GB HD and Superdrive. Mine is running around 145 Deg F. The Mac Mini does NOT seem hot or even warm and the air out of the back is only slightly warm. The ... (1 Comment)
12/7/09
I have recorded my daughter while playing in her music recital using my camera. I would like to send it to family and friends and I get an error from Comcast our internet provider that the file is too large when I try to send it as an email attachment. How do I condense this ... (2 Comments)
12/6/09
My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I’m new here… I’m trying to get a grip on how the iPhone handles image files I take with my iPhone. I have begun transferring (but not deleting) my pictures from my iPhone to iPhoto so that they can be ... (15 Comments)
12/6/09
I have a 1 minute video that have sped up by 1000%. I added music. I uploaded to website.But When I play back video the audio is also sped up so music sound like gibberish.How to speed up video but not the added audio music? — lewis ... (7 Comments)
12/5/09
I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini but I like the look of the iMac I have. Can I use the iMac as an external display. — Gary McNeil ... (3 Comments)
12/5/09
Can someone tell me if there is a way to resize photos in iPhoto? I know it can be done while exporting them, but it seems that so many websites tell me “my file is too big”, I want to resize them while still in iPhoto. Thanks, MacBerg — Bonnie Bergstein ... (1 Comment)
12/5/09
How do you rotate or turn a photo in Pages when I am trying to put it in a newsletter template? I use the various templates for a newsletter and replace the photos that are there with my photos. Some of the photos are slanted or rotated slightly and when I delete or remove the ... (3 Comments)
12/4/09
Im new to publishing a website. Ive taken this one over and trying to publish. Cant seem to find where my files went. Where does Mac store them? Thank you in advance — Sandy Desser ... (1 Comment)
12/3/09
Sometimes on a restart the gray background strip on the menu bar (the menu with the apple menu) is missing. I’ll the date, bluetooth icon etc but †he background is of the desktop. On the left the icons are gone (apple icon for the apple menu etc.) When I click on the ... (10 Comments)
12/3/09
I wanted to upgrade my memory from the original 2 GB to 4 GB. Where do you suggest I get it from and what make. — Gary McNeil ... (1 Comment)
12/2/09
how can the sample text template on pages09 be change to english ? — joel reyes ... (2 Comments)
12/2/09
Gary, What’s the difference between the Add to iTunes and the Automatically Add to iTunes folders in the iTunes Music Folder — Ken deHorton ... (1 Comment)
12/1/09
Gary: I am preparing a 5-7 min speech for a Toastmaster meeting in January. I would like to know your top 5 or 6 reasons for why a pc user would want to switch to a Mac. I’ve used pc’s since 1981 and finally made the Mac switch in March 2009. I know my reasons for ... (1 Comment)
11/30/09
I recently heard Gary say its not a good idea to shut down a Mac all the time. How often is too often and why is it bad for the Mac. I usually do it once, at the end of a day, thinking I’m reducing the wear on the machine while it’s not being used all night. Is ... (6 Comments)
11/29/09
How can I add a name to a seperate photo in making a slide show? — Stan Castro ... (2 Comments)
11/29/09
I hope someone can help. A few nights ago I watched a Numbers 09 tutorial on YouTube and the person doing the tutorial showed how to quickly change the color scheme or design of a chart. I’m not talking about changing the colors of the bars or changing the chart type. He ... (1 Comment)
11/29/09
hello Gary. my uncle wanna buy an iphone, but the problem is that he has a lot of contacts in his nokia phone, and transfering them manually is a pain. can you please tell me how to transfer the contacts automatically in from the nokia to the iphone??? — Hassan ... (3 Comments)
11/29/09
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but we are getting our kids ipod touches for Christmas (they are 6 and 8 yr. old). I’m not sure of the best way to set them up an itunes account. If they have their own accounts, I don’t want it setup with a credit card. ... (169 Comments)
11/28/09
I want to start laying out a book – but know that I will need to find more photos from my husband’s laptop, capture some stills from iMovie, etc. before I complete the project. Before I start, I want to make sure I can save my work and retrieve it when I’m ... (1 Comment)
11/28/09
My wife has been using iMovie’09 literally daily on her MacBook Pro w/Snow Leopard. It’s been working fine. Tonight iMovie won’t open, giving her the following message: “iMovie requires a graphics card that is compatible with Quartz Extreme. One or more ... (27 Comments)