MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

11/28/09
Did a google and nobody seems to know. Are all MM info in the cloud sitting there encrypted, especially keychain info? I assume info traveling back and forth over the internet is encrypted via SSL? Or perhaps I misunderstand SSL, info is traveling securely but it’s not ... (1 Comment)
11/28/09
Recently, I changed the icons of Documents, Music, Pictures, and Movies, then I dragged them to the side bar of Finder. Initially, everything is fine but over time the icons change to a white sheet of paper with the left corner dog-eared (blank document icon?). Usually, if I ... (8 Comments)
11/27/09
I use Outlook at work on a PC using the Windows version of iTunes to sync my iPhone. I only sync my calendar and contacts. Nothing else. At home, I sync the same iPhone on a Mac using iTunes for everything else except calendar and contacts. It works, but I would like to use ... (3 Comments)
11/27/09
Is your 10.6.2 slowing down? Well, this one on my Mac Mini sure is. It was not so long ago, the blazing speed of my 2007 Mac Mini, had me believing it was “the best thing sence sliced bread”. When I could open 4 to 5 apps, burn a DVD, check e-mail, cut sounds in ... (2 Comments)
11/24/09
I was given a bluetooth mighty mouse which has the name of the previous owner, is there a way to change this or to reset the mouse to factory settings? I’ve looked all through the mouse and bluetooth settings but not found anything? Many thanks N. — NeoGen ... (3 Comments)
11/24/09
to set up a root user, i go to system/library/ and click on Directory Service, correct? And then choose a user name and password, or just a password? Currently, I am the only one using my Mac, do you recommend setting up the root user? When I have another admin user on my Mac ... (3 Comments)
11/24/09
What application should be used to open cache.db? In text it is just gobbledygook. Does your book get into details like this? — B Mueller ... (7 Comments)
11/24/09
Hi Gary Is there a shortcut key list that I can download off of the Internet I am new to apple. — paulie3660 ... (2 Comments)
11/23/09
Hello my question is about backing up my media, DVDs to be exact. I have little kids and would like to know if there is a way to make a copy of a disc I already have? Or do I need to go my current way, copy to hard drive and burn from there. My problem with that way is I am ... (3 Comments)
11/23/09
In Network Utility, I find reference to “ping” and “finger.” What do these mean, and when might I ever want to ping or finger? — John Russell ... (1 Comment)
11/22/09
The Time Capsule reviews on Apple’s site are loaded with negativity regarding how long those drives last, or rather, don’t last. Do you see Time Capsules as flawed products? Are they more crash-prone than they should be? — John Russell ... (10 Comments)
11/21/09
I am a Windows user at the edge of making the jump to Mac. Is there a (Mac) full function ergonomic keyboard? I have searched but find only MS keyboards that will work…but not have all the Mac functions/ — Adplusone ... (1 Comment)
11/21/09
I have tried downloading the new SL printer updates 3 times. Each time it installs, it fails, saying it’s corrupted. (8.5 mb file) This is the first problem ever with my imac. Previous printer updates installed fine. Should I install a program like Onyx to correct problems ... (1 Comment)
11/21/09
I send iCal invites, often with notes to explain them, sometimes with required attachments, to people who use both Macs and PCs. Sometimes the invites don’t get through or if they do, there’s nothing to click. Some people claim my invites come through as gibberish. Is ... (2 Comments)
11/21/09
Hi I’ve been doing great with my macbook, but a few days ago it became pretty slow, specially with Exposé function. Any suggestion to increase me mac performace and speed? — Milo ... (1 Comment)
11/21/09
Gary- Love the book and all you do with the site. I know it’s possible, but can’t seem to get it right. How can I view files on hard drives attached to my network at home. I do photography and have an external drive connected to my Time Capsule, an Airport Extreme ... (1 Comment)
11/20/09
Hi everyone, I’d like to remove the text that shows up above any icon on my dock when the mouse is over the icon. I figure the icon should be enough recognition. I currently have Leopard 10.5.8 on my 24″ imac. I did notice that when I go into text editor to rename ... (1 Comment)
11/20/09
When I print documents as pdf for example from Word and then open them with preview, the background is checked white and grey like a chessboard. I am sure it was not always this way, I think this is since Snowleopard Is there any way to change it back to a white background just ... (10 Comments)
11/19/09
What is best way to learn MAC and iPhone for seniors. Are there any basic videos. I gave an iphone to my father recently. Spent three hours on a remote call/showmyPC.com. But there has to be a better way. Need general finder/folders/address book etc. Checking with libraries and ... (9 Comments)
11/19/09
I was wondering if there is a way to automatically update the permissions of a folder or item, such as and iTunes music folder or iPhoto library that I’m trying to share between users. Every time new items are added to itunes or iphoto, the other users don’t have read ... (2 Comments)