MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

11/19/09
Hi Gary, I went through your whole list of task managers hoping to find one with 1) alarms and 2) snooze times that could be set to something other than iCal’s strange 2 hrs to one day span. No luck. If I want to snooze a reminder for six hours I have to have it pop up ... (3 Comments)
11/19/09
Hi Gary, I just watched the podcast for Exporting Slideshows and you mentioned be able to compress them to be sent via email. I have to admit that I do not know how to do that. Could you enlighten me? Your book is on my Christmas List! — Jason ... (1 Comment)
11/18/09
is there a free & easy to use software for converting music from mp3 to m4r format? thanks! — pigz ... (1 Comment)
11/18/09
I subscribe to numerous podcasts from various sources. My iphone (G with 3.1.2) automatically plays podcasts one after another and not necessarily in the correct sequence. I would like it to stop at the end of a podcast and let me choose the next one (or just exit). I’ve ... (1 Comment)
11/18/09
An otherwise friendly photo-processing software company has produced a downloadable PDF manual with white text on a black background. Can someone help with changing to black text on white so I can print economically? Thanks. — John Russell ... (1 Comment)
11/17/09
Hi Gary, I have 2 questions for you: 1) Should I turn my mighty mouse off at the end of the day? (with the slider underneath) 2) I have a new wired keyboard attached to my Mac Mini (running Snow Leopard) and the brightness keys (F1 and F2) are not responding. The ones on my ... (2 Comments)
11/17/09
Gary, odd request: I’d like to move some older, informational podcasts to a networked drive, but still be able to play them in my itunes. Know of an efficient way to do this without confusing iTunes? I know that a lot of podcasts are available on the original website and I ... (3 Comments)
11/16/09
I have lost my refresh and back buttons on the top of my pages – how do I get them back? — Mary ... (1 Comment)
11/16/09
Hello Gary. i use gmail as my primary email address and i have synced it with my address book. when i started syncing rather than gmail updating its contact list it did the other way around. address book synced with gmail and erased all my contacts, because gmail didn’t ... (5 Comments)
11/16/09
According to the System Profiler it has a CD-RW/DVD-R. I don’t know why it won’t play a movie. — Gary McNeil ... (13 Comments)
11/15/09
Gary, do you or anyone else on the forum use Launchbar 5 and, if so, could you give a quick opinion? Thanks. — John Russell ... (1 Comment)
11/15/09
Hi Gary, You have probably covered this but I will ask….. I have a MB for personal use and a Mac Mini for work. How can I access (and change) files on my MB with the Mini? Do I need to copy those items/folders into a shared folder? Is all of that redundancy going to eat up ... (3 Comments)
11/15/09
Gary, would you know of any way other than manually, to synch bookmarks between Firefox and Safari? Thanks! — Michelle ... (1 Comment)
11/15/09
I have a Mac Mini and I am looking at buying the new 27″ IMac. I wanted to know if I can transfer ALL the Movies, Podcast, and Music I purchased from the iTunes store over to the new iMac and be able to view and listen to it. — Leonard Bryan ... (2 Comments)
11/14/09
I have a problem with several of my Logic / Garage Band Software Instruments. Many of the sound samples are twice on my HD. It is quite difficult to find them all the conventional way because they are hidden in a net of folders and sub-folders. Is there any chance to find (and ... (3 Comments)
11/14/09
hello. what i love about iCal is that when its closed (quite) its icon shows the date . but for some reason every time when i quite iCal it shows me the old date (21st Oct) but when i start it, the icon changes to the correct date. can you please tell me how to fix it. ... (1 Comment)
11/14/09
I have a Mac ( OS X 10.3.9) that is several years old. For the last month or so any time I try to go on certain websites( such as Facebook), Safari will suddenly quit.I am not exactly computer literate so I am not sure how to fix this,can it be corrected?If so how? — Dawn ... (1 Comment)
11/14/09
Hi Gary in my documents folder i created a new folder named My Bank Statements i added the first statement in the folder now when i try to add the next months statement a dialog box pops up asking if i want to replace the older folder i would like to add the folder for each ... (1 Comment)
11/14/09
I have recorded a video in Imovie and through visual hub converted to swf. The problem is that it auto starts and continuously loop, I would like to add option of start/stop. I have scoured the web and help like help program ideas, but as a novice I can’t find anything ... (3 Comments)
11/13/09
What’s up brother? What is new? I want to by MacBook pro and I don’t know if new MacBook pro comeing soon. Last week new iMac and MacBook come out. So, if you have good information advise me ... (1 Comment)