MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

10/23/09
I subscribe to about a dozen podcasts, many of which have new content daily. And, I like to sync them with my iPhone every morning. My question is, how can I get them to sync overnight, so they are waiting on my computer in the morning? — Don Altorfer ... (1 Comment)
10/22/09
Hey guys! I have an issue with the “Open With” when I right click on certain files, such as a picture. I get duplicates of the programs that can be used to open that file. I’ll get a bunch of duplicates listed for Safari, Preview, Photoshop, etc. for example. ... (1 Comment)
10/22/09
Hi Gary, I have a bunch of .dv clips produced by an old Sony video camera. Neither iPhoto nor iMovie recognizes that format. What format should I convert them to? And what software and settings should I do the conversion with? I have a one-year-old 24″ iMac running Snow ... (1 Comment)
10/22/09
Hi I own an ipod and manage it thru itunes. However I have just bought a new iphone 3GS, will I have to take out a new account with itunes, or will itunes recognise I have a new device and run both devices together using one account!! Thanks Ken..Nr london uk — Ken ... (2 Comments)
10/21/09
Gary, Is MacMost.com your full-time gig? How did you get started? When did you 1st become a Mac person? — Jason ... (1 Comment)
10/21/09
I was wondering if anyone has been able to take out light scratches on an iPod with metal polish. — Gary McNeil ... (1 Comment)
10/21/09
Is there a comparison chart somewhere that compares the 2 programs mentioned in the title? I have them both on my Mac Pro. Can you in a nutshell recommend which is better at organizing files on your HD? Thanks, Russ — Russ Winkler ... (3 Comments)
10/21/09
in iTunes 8 we used to be able to adjust the size of the albums icons so we can make them small or we can make them bigger and bigger. in iTunes 9 we can’t do that, can you tell me please how to adjust the size of the icons in any section (music, tv shows, podcasts, ... (2 Comments)
10/21/09
I would like to know what would be the normal temperature for a MacBook Pro. I understand that compact computers tend to have higher temperatures, but I am just concern if it will affect my system in any way? Temp. has gone up to 98 and external fan does not seem to help ... (1 Comment)
10/21/09
Gary, About the new iMacs… quad core?!?! Sounds great, but who would best make use of one? In other words, how would most people know which iMac would best suit their needs? Seems the quad is more for people into gaming, watching high def movies, or making movies or really ... (5 Comments)
10/20/09
How many years should I expect my Airport Extreme to be useful? Comcast (our ISP) seems to be behaving, but we’re dropping our network connection frequently. Thanks. — John Russell ... (2 Comments)
10/20/09
I really like the current Mighty Mouse because of the right, left, and center clicks and middle squeeze. I use the squeeze all the time for spaces and the center click for expose. I am wondering if the new Magic Mouse has a similar functionality to easily access these features. ... (1 Comment)
10/20/09
I want my son and I to be able to manage both our Ipod’s on our family Imac. He listens to different music to me and so we need to be able to manage two different sets of music. I want him to be able to manage his own music and to be able to sync with his Ipod and for me to ... (1 Comment)
10/19/09
I am looking for a way to separate work photos and personal photos in iphoto. Is there a way to have two separate database of images? — Danny ... (3 Comments)
10/19/09
I move from one Mac to another on a regular basis. I want to keep all data synced on both Macs. I did a GOOGLE search and found several sites that sell syncing software, is this really needed? (This is one link I found http://www.markspace.com/synctogether/). Thanks to all ... (1 Comment)
10/19/09
Hi, I’m a new MacBook Pro user and tried to find the answer on my own to no avail. How do I e-mail a picture from iPhoto through my GMail account? I see how to easily do it using MacMail, but I’m not set up for that, nor do I want to. Thanks in advance, Vicky — ... (1 Comment)
10/19/09
How to uninstall programs totally from my Mac? — Kristiyan ... (3 Comments)
10/18/09
Hi Gary, I thought I knew that we could set up a custom search in the sidebar of the Finder window….could you shed some light? Thanks! — Jason ... (1 Comment)
10/18/09
In trying to learn Aperture from the lynda.com site, I have the lynda tutorial (on Firefox) on my smaller monitor and Aperture open on a bigger monitor so I can work along with the instructor. Tell me that I don’t have to be limited to one menu bar, on either one monitor ... (1 Comment)
10/18/09
Hi! Since my old Photoshop does no longer work when I changed my old G5 into a new iMac, I have really problemes to change the size of pictures (taken by camera or as a screen shot) to optimize them for mails and internet. I cannot believe that Apple offers no solution for such a ... (5 Comments)