MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

6/16/10
Hi Gary. I have been following your videos for a few months now researching macs (I am a PC user). I have ordered my first mac and should be receiving it in the next days. I was considering subscribing to your newsletter but have a couple of questions. 1. There is a real ... (1 Comment)
6/16/10
Is there any way to configure a Skype account into ichat. I did not know if it could be done through jabber or not because I saw some tips online about configuring Facebook Chat into ichat using jabber. — George ... (4 Comments)
6/15/10
I need to purchase a monitor to use with my macbook pro 2010 and work PC. Any recommendations? I’d prefer 27in+. There are so many options out there and need some help. Thanks — Mike ... (3 Comments)
6/15/10
About the only reason I would need a fax these days is to put my signature in a document. Is there a secure way to put my signature in a PDF so I can email it back to the person who needs my signature, or am I better off printing the doc, signing it and snail-mailing it ... (1 Comment)
6/15/10
Hi Gary I have a couple of questions for you. Is the keychain encrypted? If not, what would be an easy way to encrypt the keychain to prevent anyone from retrieving all of the passwords that you use for various accounts such as Amazon and mail? — Greg ... (1 Comment)
6/15/10
I’m using iMovie with stills and movies about vacations we’ve been on. I want to do an introduction before each section during the vacation, but the introductions are lengthy in that I want to explain certain things. None of the titles in iMovie give me the length ... (2 Comments)
6/15/10
Hi. I have a person who I do not want to get calls from anymore. Your collection of ringtones is awsome. I was wondering if a few avoidence ones could be in the works? Silence would be perfect. — reb ... (1 Comment)
6/14/10
when i import my vids in itunes..they are all cat as movies, so i change the type to tv shows, music vids…when i sync with the ipad…the tv shows and music vids are all over the place in the video apps…is there something wrong with the ipad? or ... (1 Comment)
6/14/10
I frequent WetCanvas.com, and I cannot figure out how to post a photo in a thread. The usual way is to click the button to select a file from a list. I tried copying an image and pasting in the text box, but that just pastes the file name and the image doesn’t ... (1 Comment)
6/14/10
I’m doing volunteer video editing for an oral history project, but the files I received are .vob, and iMovie won’t import them the usual way. I’ve had no luck finding a free converter that works on my computer. Any ideas? — DSMJSM ... (4 Comments)
6/13/10
Hi Gary, This is the second time I am writing to you. I had a problem with the way Mac copied files on the Pen Drive. I used Blue Harvest as you suggested and that is sorted. Now this Pen Drive plays music in my car, after I’ve transferred music from iTunes and sometimes it ... (1 Comment)
6/13/10
This can’t be that tricky. My “Open With” menu’s are filled with tons and tons of unused and unnecessary apps. Here’s a screenshot of a JPEG image’s menu. http://cl.ly/e71268626c1f9ba2f4a2 I count 17 applications, 2 duplicates, and 5 web ... (1 Comment)
6/13/10
I have a 2yr old 24″ imac. It had been running slow for a few days, getting the beachball often. I did a disk utility and it said needs repaired, tried to repair and could not be repaired. Read online about starting off disk. Did this and still cannot repair drive. At this ... (4 Comments)
6/12/10
Not intended as a forum topic, but just want you to know that I am very happy with gazelle.com. I sold my used MacBook Pro for an acceptable price and they were in touch with me at every stage. The free shipping and mailing labels for printing are great perks. I’m ... (2 Comments)
6/12/10
Why hasn’t there been any updates to this program. I have used it for years and it’s still the same. Getting softeware updates from Apple is like pulling teeth. — Paul Reber ... (1 Comment)
6/12/10
hi gary love your site and vids really helpful :) i have a macbook pro version 10.6.3 since downloading safari 5 through the update ive been getting lots of crashes ive tried reseting safari emptying cache ive even tried to reinstall it but it continues to crash which im finding ... (6 Comments)
6/12/10
Sorry if you’ve answered this before but I’ve been waiting for an answer and haven’t seen one. I’ve used the ‘activity’ window to save videos in flash. But this doesn’t work with H264 format. Clicking on an H264 opens another window and ... (4 Comments)
6/12/10
when I try to create a todo in mail, It only gives one choice. It places the todo in ical under a mobile me calendar. If I delete that calendar it recreates it. I looked at my imac, and I can place my todo under any calendar in ical- ie I am not restricted. How can I set ... (1 Comment)
6/11/10
I am trying to move all of my On My Mac folders (Mail.app) onto my IMAP account. I have one folder with sub-folders that has copied all the subfolders. However, the main folder is white and hasn’t copied the emails, nor will it allow me to drag/drop into the main folder. ... (1 Comment)
6/11/10
I am getting my first mac next week, and I have to simple questions that I think I may already know the answer to. First, does mail have to be running to alert you if you have a new message (I am sure it does)? Second, does ichat have to be running in order to accept a video chat ... (1 Comment)