MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

4/2/10
I just upgraded to iTunes 9.1. What happened to the “Mark as Watched” selection when you right click a podcast. There are some Podcasts who have a lot of advertising at the end (not yours!). In earlier iTunes versions I would right click to have them Mark as Watched ... (5 Comments)
4/2/10
What’s the best way to delete unneeded preference files and extensions? Is their any software will do this or do I have to delete manually. Thanks. — Imacer99 ... (2 Comments)
4/1/10
Hi Gary I have a very strange problem recently. I have set Safari so that new windows are opened in tabs (or I add tabs manually to open new windows) – I just prefer this over having many separate windows. Now, initially everything is ok and I see the tabs below my bookmark ... (7 Comments)
4/1/10
My ISP is Cox.net – a cable service provider. Until recently, I had been forwarding their messages to my me.com account to make less accounts on my iPhone. I cancelled the forwarding, and added cox.net to my iPhone. Everything works fine, except when I delete a message ... (1 Comment)
4/1/10
I have noticed that when working with a PDF the contextual menu for “Open With” has pfdPen listed twice. This does not cause much of a problem, but being the pedantic perfectionist I’d like to remove the second occurrence of this menu option. Any ... (1 Comment)
3/31/10
Gary, any chance of you doing a review on this? — Ken ... (2 Comments)
3/31/10
Hi, I would like to know If I buy a TimeCapsule 1TB I have the “service” of transmiting music from my itunes library to an audio equipment connected to it. Also, I would like to know if I buy the Time Capsule 1tb I can move my itunes files to it and they still work ... (3 Comments)
3/31/10
How does the new option “Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 Kbps AAC” effect my music library? Does it just change the bit rate for the iPhone/iPod/iPad music or the whole library? — Greg Howland ... (142 Comments)
3/31/10
We took over a Church IT and they got 1 Apple Mac. They can’t get it to work on an ADSL line. I manage to get LAN up and running but can’t access the internet. It only allow access to 1 site (www.absa.co.za) all other page give (page canot be displayed) please can you ... (1 Comment)
3/30/10
I am adding 2 x 2Gb iRam memory modules to my existing 4 x 512Mb factory installed memory. iRam has informed me that it is important to consult the owners manual (which I don’t have since I purchased my computer used) and install the memory in a certain order (they call it ... (10 Comments)
3/30/10
Hi Gary I do feel you missed a whole chunk of info out of the UPS podcast. In particular that OSX can integrate with systems with USB and not only give the status of the UPS in the menu bar but also auto shut down when power is low. Surely this is the reason to have one UPS per ... (4 Comments)
3/30/10
I’ve read in a few articles that if a Mac gets a Windows virus, or some other form of malware, it can pass it on to a Windows computer if there’s on in the network. I have 3 Windows computers in my network and 3 Macs, I am worried about my Windows computers getting ... (2 Comments)
3/30/10
Hi Gary, I just bought a new refurbished imac. I have 256 GB of movies and music on an external 1 TB drive. How do I move this to my imac from my windows machine? By the way I ordered your book. I am looking forward to using it to help make my mac transition easier. — ... (3 Comments)
3/29/10
I have a Mac at home and a PC Laptop for work. I would like for the photos and itunes libraries to be synced up between my Mac at home and the Laptop PC for work. Is there a way to do that? — Ra Cevallos ... (3 Comments)
3/29/10
I have a MacBook (10.6.2) running on an Airport Extreme. I have hooked up an external HD to the airport extreme, and I can see, read/write, mount, etc., this drive’s partitions on my MBP. However, when I go to my wife’s MacBook, and try to access the Airport Extreme ... (5 Comments)
3/29/10
hi gary i came across a software for mind mapping i am unable to get the complete concept and its uses and application can you enlighten me on that thanks — nirja ... (1 Comment)
3/28/10
Good morning: I am a die hard mac user since the late 80s. I have an old G4 450 MHz and was thinking of upgrading but have found that parts are unfortunately almost obsolete. Thinking of upgrading to mac mini due to budgetary constraints and I hate the all in one feature of the ... (1 Comment)
3/28/10
What is the performance difference between these two processors in a 17inch MBP? Also, is the $50 upgrade for 7200 rpm hard drive necessary? I’ve heard it will use more battery compared to 5400rpm. Is that true? I am trying to decide and want to be sure the upgraded options ... (7 Comments)
3/28/10
hi Gary. if you highlight a text in safari or anywhere, then right-click, u can make the mac speak the works that are highlighted, but its kinda annoying for me to do these steps as i use the zoom feature all the time in a high percentage. is there any shortcut in hte keyboard ... (1 Comment)
3/28/10
Gary – have you had any experience with Apple TV (ATV) Flash? Is it worthwhile downloading and are there any problems? Thanks Chris — Chris Hodgeman ... (1 Comment)