MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

3/27/10
I am using 10.6.2 and I am trying to figure out how to get an HD plugged into an Airport Extreme to automount, and can’t seem to find it. Suggestions? Todd — Todd Peperkorn ... (3 Comments)
3/27/10
Is there a way to add more than one monitor to my MacBook? I already have one external monitor working, but I would like to add a second external – what do I need to do that? — nash ... (1 Comment)
3/26/10
I have an issue with my apple acct. Before I call and get tech support on the phone, I thought I’d ask the smart guys. Purchased an iPod about 5-6 years ago. Set up account with email and work PC. along the way, purchased a used G4, iPhone 3GS, and last month a new ... (5 Comments)
3/25/10
As someone who has switched to a Mac from Windows some time back, is there any benefit to using Apple’s Mail app as opposed to using Thunderbird for my email? I have several years of saved email that I would like to import to Mail if there is any reason to do so. One of ... (6 Comments)
3/24/10
What a coincidence that your iTunes tip today was about replacing hard drives. I didn’t notice the signs that it was about to die. It died. I lost everything except pictures that I had been storing on an external hard drive. The only thing I’m devastated to have lost ... (1 Comment)
3/24/10
Hello, I’m stumped. For added security, I renamed my network and my guest network to something other than my name. Everything went fine, and my Time Capsule rebooted and connected to the re-named network. I also re-connected the two iPhones in our house to the newly renamed ... (1 Comment)
3/24/10
what would you use filevault for? I have mine active but i don’t really see the advantage of having it on . :) Ryko — Ryko ... (5 Comments)
3/24/10
Since my mini mac broke down, I replaced it with new insides ,now I can’t sync anything downloaded from itunes on my ipod, I can burn cd’s on it, but that’s all. Help, not much fun to use ipod anymore. — nancykcoons ... (1 Comment)
3/24/10
Hi Gary I got some pdf documents which are pretty heavy in size – they had been scanned at 300dpi for quality printing. If I don’t need to print, is there a way to reduce their size to keep them just good for screen reading? Waht would be the right setting and what ... (3 Comments)
3/23/10
I wanted to check and see if you had any recommendations on after market batteries. I have a 17 in powerbook. — gmcneil ... (1 Comment)
3/22/10
Hi Gary, I was playing with the RSS Visualizer in Screen Saver. I have added few test feeds, now I can’t seem to delete them. Example of a list showing in the RSS Visualizer ... (12 Comments)
3/22/10
Gary, this is odd. I have a my own website which opens playing music. It was working fine up until about 2 weeks ago. When the site opens the music is off. Sounds like a beat was chopped off and the rest of the music is off. My son has a PC and a Mac and when he goes to my ... (4 Comments)
3/22/10
Hi Gary, I noticed that after looking in my hard drive folder that there was a file named Ogre.log I have not seen this before, what is it? would it be safe to delete? shows it was created Feb 19th, 2010 Also have a icon that reads Shockwave.Log and commands.log and Yes, My ... (1 Comment)
3/22/10
I keep getting a double last name from some people in my address book mainly from emails. It doesn’t happen with all names, just on some. I’m not sure if it’s happening from their end or mine. I keep correcting my address book, but it keeps happening. Anyone ... (6 Comments)
3/22/10
Lost power during the recent rainstorms here in the East. No damage to the PC this time, but made me worried about my hard drive. Any suggestions on UPS’s? – RB — Ron Brown ... (1 Comment)
3/22/10
hi, I am new apple and am the proud owner of a new apple imac. I seems to have “lost” the menu items on the apple menu. How do I retrieve or re-isntall these menu items. — Solly Engelbrecht ... (5 Comments)
3/21/10
I understand how to share files with other computers on my home network, but I can’t seem to find the ADDRESS BOOK file to share. Any clues? — Bob ... (4 Comments)
3/21/10
If I put a magnet to one of those old floppy disks or to a hard disk drive would that in effect be a secure erase? But interesting when I put a magnet on a hard disk drive platter the magnet had no “pull” effect on it?? Perhaps the shiny silver color coating deflects ... (1 Comment)
3/21/10
I used to manually manage but switched over sync. Now I am not sure how to sync individual albums. I have latest version of iTunes with Leopard. An example: I have more songs than room on my iPhone so instead of syncing all 11 albums by Bob Marley, I just want to transfer one ... (18 Comments)
3/21/10
I have a MacBook Pro purchased in December 09. The last two weeks I’ve been having problems with it A) Heating up to the point where you can’t really have your wrists on the keyboard and B) Where it isn’t going to sleep properly so I go to open it up again it ... (8 Comments)