MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

3/21/10
I have a fairly large DEVONthink data base and would like to sync it so I can use it on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. I am also in the process of setting up a MacMini server. I have looked at Chronosync and Super Flexible Sync. If you have experience with syncing, I would ... (2 Comments)
3/21/10
Hi! Since I have an iMac and a MacBook, I think about ways to sync some of my programms and contents. In especially I think about syncing iCal and Adressbook. I tried Dropbox, but it is not very handy for this purpose. Is there an easy way to do it? I also thought about buying ... (1 Comment)
3/20/10
Is there a way to get photos into my iMac from my collection of Costco-produced cds? I probably wouldnt have switched from PC if I’d realized my tons of photos wouldn’t be recognized by my beautiful new machine. — Kay Turner ... (3 Comments)
3/20/10
Hi Gary, I am thinking about moving to a 2 TB drive for my Time Machine back up as my 500 is nearing capacity. Is there a way to move my current backup file to the new drive so the automatic back ups pick up where they left off? Also, as paranoid as I am, I back up my pics, docs, ... (1 Comment)
3/20/10
1) I created a podcast for free using blip.tv, it works great. However I would like to know are there any limitations / disadvantages of this free service? 2) I need to repeat an iCal event every second Saturday of every month, how do setup? 3) I plan to buy WD My Book Studio II ... (1 Comment)
3/20/10
Is there a way of creating a Smart Folder that will contain all of the uses of a certain label? Finder allows for like 6-8 colors to label things. I would like to make smart folders that use all the instances of something labeled yellow, for example. — Todd Peperkorn ... (6 Comments)
3/20/10
Coming from the world of Windows I may be unaware of any different way this is handled, but how does one go about formatting a flash drive (thumb drive) in Snow Leopard? Right-click reveals many options, including delete, but nothing like “format”. But I did find an ... (2 Comments)
3/20/10
Not long ago my computers both behaved the way I prefer; that is, clicking a link in email caused Firefox (my default browser) to open a new tab and jump in front of Mail. Now, however, the tab opens but I can’t tell because email stays in front. I can’t find ... (1 Comment)
3/20/10
I used Canon digital camera to shoot a 1-minute video, imported it to iPhoto, and uploaded it to MobileMe Gallery. (I’m a newbie at all 3: digital photography, MM Gallery, and iPhoto.) I emailed a Gallery link but recipient can’t open it on his PC. He’s ... (1 Comment)
3/20/10
Gary, New to the Apple Kingdom. I just wanted you to know that all your tips are helping me get through the learning curve of switching over from windows. I appreciate everything your website has to offer. My big question is: Where can I get one of those cool MacMost T-Shirts ... (1 Comment)
3/19/10
hi gary is there a way to stop my screen saver or display sleep from coming on while i’m watching videos on youtube without changing the count down time? i don’t have this problem with idvd or vlc — Richard slack ... (1 Comment)
3/19/10
Is it safe to use Smackbook or not? What you think of Smackbook? — Medio ... (1 Comment)
3/18/10
Can you setup different profiles in Mac eg., work, home, away and then have the settings changed to reflect how the Mac is used? — Nash ... (8 Comments)
3/18/10
After upgrading to Snow Leopard and ILife, whenever I try to delete older photos from IPhoto I get a grayed out square (kind of like a placeholder) and sometimes IPhoto will freeze up and I must do a Force Quit. I have rebuilt the thumbnails as recommended, etc several times ... (1 Comment)
3/18/10
hi macmost i have 3 mac’s and there are backup in Time Machine. if i need to delete one of these machines from Time Machine, can i then just drag the backup to the trash. if i open the Time Machine program i have to delete them all. I will just delete one of the macs. (O: ... (2 Comments)
3/17/10
Is there an easy way to tell if more memory would be of benefit to a computer? How many virtual pages there are in the activity monitor, or something else? — Todd Peperkorn ... (1 Comment)
3/17/10
I purchased a 1st generation MacPro Tower which does not have an AirPort Extreme WiFi Card installed. How can I find out which card will work with this computer? Are the MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, and MacPro AirPort Extreme WiFi Cards all the same? Thanks for any help that you ... (1 Comment)
3/17/10
If I am on a Starbucks or an airport open unsecure Wifi how safe is it to do banking on a bank site that you log on via https://? With Gmail you login via https:// and all subsequent sites are also https, but on Yahoo only the “front page” or login page is https. ... (1 Comment)
3/17/10
The 1password keychain is encrypted, but if I open the keychain file so that I can use 1password or to look up info on my keychain on an open unsecure WiFi, could other people see my passwords and secure notes? I believe read Dropbox stores all files encrypted, but that MobileMe ... (4 Comments)
3/17/10
My several-year-old MacBook Pro goes black whenever I unplug it, even though the battery shows 99%. I have to restart the computer. When I check the Battery Information in System Profiler, Cycle Count shows 144 and Condition indicates Check Battery. Are those messages, ... (2 Comments)