MacMost: Question and Answer Forum

The MacMost Question and Answer Forum is a place where you can ask how-to questions about your Mac, iPhone, iPad and other Apple products. MacMost specializes in tutorials, tips and techniques of the “how-to” variety, as opposed to “fix-it” questions that are more about something not working as expected.

Have a how-to question? Ask it here in the MacMost Forum.
Have a fix-it question? Here is where you can get some help.

3/11/10
Hi Gary, I have a friend with a MacBook (White) which he just replaced the battery (from Apple). When he starts it up, the gray screen with the Apple logo shows up. At the bottom of the screen there is a status bar that fills to about 20% AND then the MacBook shuts ... (3 Comments)
3/11/10
I remember that in Leopard, if I typed “apple”, say, into Safari or Firefox, it would be smart enough to try “apple.com”. Now in Snow Leopard it doesn’t. Am I remembering correctly? Is there a fix for that? Thanks. — Glenn Downing ... (2 Comments)
3/11/10
TextExpander just released a new version. In doing so they went from a System Preference (Preference Pane) application to a standard Mac application. What’s the difference? Can you make a standard application act as a System Preference application? — Paulie [eatl/ga] ... (5 Comments)
3/11/10
In case my iPod touch gets full, is there a way to transfer the ebooks stored on my iPod Touch to my computer so that I don’t have to purchase the books again? — Richard DePaemelere ... (4 Comments)
3/10/10
After months of only scrolling down, the standard mouse on my imac won’t scroll in any direction. I did the upside down thing regularly but eventually nothing worked. Is it possible to dis-assemble or is there some trick you know of? Thank you. — Bruce ... (2 Comments)
3/10/10
I use my iDisk as a folder to keep my files i.e. I only have one copy of a file. After changing a file frpm jpg to pdf, I saved it (on the iDisk folder), but discovered 10 minutes later that this was a mistake. As I had ‘automatic’ syncing on, is there some way of ... (1 Comment)
3/10/10
I have a HD video camera and have been importing my video in HD format, however, I am filling up my external HD’s. Should I be importing the video in the large format instead? When exporting? sharing do I use export movie or Quicktime? Thank you — John Santini ... (1 Comment)
3/10/10
Hi Gary, I subscribed to a lot of podcasts. Once I have watched or listened to them I want them to automatically delete from my iMac, but I can’t figure out how to do it. I did find this on the Apple help site, and I followed the directions, but they are still there. Keep ... (10 Comments)
3/9/10
Hey Gary, I was wondering if you can help me. I am about to buy a new 27″ iMac and I currently have a 20″ iMac. So when I get the new iMac I would like to change the name of my current 20″ under System Preferences-Sharing-Computer Name. Will it be ok to ... (2 Comments)
3/9/10
I have recently bought a bunch of apps for my Macbook and I was wondering if/when I get an iMac will the licenses be good on another Mac? Or will I have to buy completely new licenses — Kate ... (1 Comment)
3/8/10
In past versions of iTunes, I had the ability to convert to MP3 of to AAC from the Advanced Menu or via control click. Now, there doesn’t appear to be a way to convert files to MP3. This is a bummer as the bulk of my music collection is in iTunes Plus format, and songs ... (2 Comments)
3/8/10
I am thinking of getting a Flip MinoHD because it is a lot less to carry around than my Canon ZR800, it records in 720p with no tapes, and it takes less time to start recording. Footage from my Canon lives on a NAS and is a pain to edit with iMovie on my Mac Mini because I have ... (1 Comment)
3/8/10
Hi Gary, just saw your video on saving paper and reminded me of an issue I am having with my printer, its a HP 1317 all in one printer and when I was using it with my windows PC before I got my Mac, I could print on both sides of the paper, but with my mac, I cant do this. At one ... (3 Comments)
3/8/10
Someone please tell me how to close an Unarchiving window. here is no red close button and cancel is not highlighted. It just keeps going and going like the damn bunny! — Edward ... (7 Comments)
3/8/10
Hi, I have just watched this video and Garry says “click and hold and have quick links to the applications” and “simply click once to open up the folder” I have a MacBook Pro Os X and this does not work for me. When I click I get a translucent list and to ... (1 Comment)
3/7/10
When you take video for use in iMovie, assuming you use HD card storage, what speed class do you feel you need in those cards, or isn’t it a consideration? All my cards are Class 2, which I guess are the slowest. — John Russell ... (3 Comments)
3/7/10
Gary, I notice in your video podcasts that you use a wired lapel microphone and I am wondering if there are Bluetooth lapel microphones available? I am thinking about doing some videos and would like to not have to deal with the wire of a lapel microphone. — James Ford ... (1 Comment)
3/7/10
I would like to find out more on using the time machine and time capsule. The time machine is now writing over infomation that I want to keep and I do not know how to change that or even start again. — teddy mccrea ... (5 Comments)
3/7/10
Is there a way to turn on and view a vistor count of those who viewed each gallery? Thanks! — George ... (3 Comments)
3/7/10
H im tryin to setup the iphone app “here, file file” so that it connects with the program on my macbook pro. But its not connecting it says that “Access from local network only.” I port forwarded and used a personal ip setup to my macbook on the airport ... (1 Comment)